Water Under The Bridge

 By:  Ada Z.

        When someone hurts me or loses my trust, I look at it as water under the bridge.  I find that I am able to forgive people almost instantaneously as if nothing happened.  I am not sure if that is a strength or a weakness.  

        There have been times in my life when someone has destroyed all of my trust.  I am not talking about small issues.  People I know have murdered, they have lied, they have been deceiving, or they could just downright be a bad person and somehow I am able to look past those things to see the good.  In an instant, those issues become water under the bridge and I am willing to forgive them.  

        I feel as if this is not normal.  Most people I know have at least one person in their life that they will never talk to again due to a certain circumstance.  I have no problem cutting ties with people if they no longer serve a purpose in my life, however, I could never see myself being angry or holding a grudge against someone for the rest of my life.  

        Holding a grudge seems pointless to me and almost like a waste of energy.  I feel that holding onto that anger causes more pain to yourself than it does to the other person.      

        Do you find it easy to remain angry with someone forever?  Or can you forgive people easily?  Do you think that it's normal to be able to forgive people the way that I do and see the good in them?

Comments

  1. I am usually forgiving if at all the other person is also open to embracing the goodness and letting go...
    But there are some people in my life who have cut ties so easily that I don't feel like resolving it. So ya water under the bridge is not always easy to me.


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's possible to carry a grudge to the grave. My stepfather said of my mother that she can bury a grudge but never forgets where the grave marker is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of not holding grudges feels contrary to my Irish-American heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try not to hold grudges against others. However, if people don't try to reconcile hurtful things then I usually remember what happened and avoid them. The best thing to do in life is to forgive and forget. As much as possible.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment