Happiness

By:  Ada Z.         



        When you become an adult, there are some preconceived notions that you have to find your career immediately and start making money.  While it is true that you should try to make money in order to support yourself, I think the more important thing to focus on is, does what you're doing bring you happiness? 

        I felt so lost as a young adult.  My peers were applying to colleges or attending trade schools.  It seemed as if they knew what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives.  I'm sure they had their struggles as well but, in my insecure mind, everyone seemed to have a path that they were following.  

        My dreams and aspirations always seemed unattainable and unrealistic.  Instead of attempting to follow my dreams, I would settle.  I was so scared of taking chances and failing that I wouldn't try at all.

        Eventually, my wandering soul landed me in New Jersey where I began working with my Aunt at a real estate company.  It was at this company that I met my husband.  That was about the only good thing about it but I hated the job itself.  It brought me anxiety more than it brought me happiness.  It was at this time in my life that I realized that I didn't want to just have a "job".  I wanted to be happy.  So, without any hesitation, I quit.

        I was still lost at that moment but I knew that if I didn't leave that job, I would be miserable.  I found a job waitressing at a high-end restaurant and I found joy again.  It wasn't my dream job but I was having fun doing it.  

        That feeling stuck with me in the following years.  I decided that if something doesn't make me happy, then I'm not doing it.  Happiness was more important to me than sticking something out just because I didn't want to be a quitter.  As long as I gave something my best effort and really tried that was all that really mattered.  

        So, when Lisa suggested starting a podcast I thought, "why not"?  What did we really have to lose by trying something new?  

        We started our podcasting journey by saying that recording these podcast episodes was like therapy for us.  Each time we get together to record, we do nothing but laugh and have fun.  That alone is worth the time and energy that we put into creating this podcast.

        If something brings you happiness, do it.  If it's bringing you anxiety, fear, and unhappiness then you need to reevaluate your life.  Why do something that doesn't bring you joy?  We only have one life. Use it wisely and above all else, be happy.  

Comments

  1. Happiness is a state of mind. Thankfully you got to a good place. I just wish we weren't so far apart!

    A great irony of life is that we often work our whole lives looking forward to retirement when we can relax and be happy and sometimes we end up with not enough good health or finances to actually enjoy the retirement years. I'm glad I did so much when I was younger.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure almost everyone's entry into "adult" life is wobbly, but I'm glad you worked it out. I'm totally in agreement with your philosophy. I like to say I'm committed to keeping my feet on the joy trail. May the same be true for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great attitude: what have we got to lose? Don't let the fact that you don't know what you're doing get in the way of doing it. You'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment